The classic Barrel of Monkeys is not just about fun and games. Believe it or not, it’s about collaboration, connection and trust. Victory is only possible by keeping all the monkeys connected.
COVID-19 has shown us that there is nothing more important than connection in business and in our personal lives.
The global pandemic has turned the world upside down. Literally. The financial impact has been devastating, especially for business owners. Many in our community have found themselves unemployed or unable to run their businesses and earn income. As the pandemic continues to challenge our economy and the health and financial security of us all, it’s time to understand how our choices matter.
We have the power to create change and meaningful connections by rewarding businesses that do things differently and work towards inclusion and social equity. We can actively participate in economic recovery and get businesses moving in many ways, including:
- Shop local. Choose businesses who have ethical practices and support the local economy. Even if your favourite café is only open for a few hours a day sell take away coffee, swing by and grab that latte, help the owners, the staff, suppliers and all their families and employees by spending your money with that local business.
- Like and share. Spread the word about the creative ways local businesses are adapting to the pandemic and toot someone else’s horn when they kick goals. We’re all online, ALL the time lately. A few clicks go a long way.
- Pay it forward. Many people are out of work and are struggling. Buy two coffees or take away meals when you need one and let the store pay it forward or order a meal to be delivered to a family that’s doing it tough.
- Buy Vouchers and Gift Cards. Changes to the law last year means that gift cards have a minimum validity period of 3 years. How good is that? Vouchers provide cashflow up front to a business that has had to slow down and limit its revenue in exchange for coming back and using the voucher when all hands are back on deck. By the time you spend the voucher you may even be able to take a few friends along with you. Win-win!
- Sign up for a retainer. Think outside the square in engaging professional services. A retainer arrangement can provide a local business with much needed cash flow in exchange for your own budgetary certainty and ability to lock in your expenses. What’s not to love?
We all have the power to make a positive impact. When we take care of our community, we take care of each other. The rest follows.
Prosperity will return. In the meantime, let’s all do our part to link up the local economy and stay connected.